Grief Support for Loss of Child
A Family of Families, Sorrow Shared
For nearly 18 years, Jacob’s Heart has been present with loving hearts and open arms to families who have lost a child to cancer or other circumstances. Our family counselors, interns and parent mentors are trained to accompany all family members through the journey of life without their child.
Programs and services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Financial assistance to help with funeral or memorial expenses and practical support to help with daily challenges
- Help and support with planning remembrances, memorial services, legacy traditions and celebrations of life
- Compassionate connections during the holidays – candle lighting, celebrations, sharing during the holidays.
- Eight-week thematic support groups in both Spanish and English in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties
- Monthly drop-in groups (you don’t need to sign up, just show up)
- Bereaved teen support – outings, groups and connections
- Art and play therapy for grieving children
- Peer mentorship – matching parents, grandparents and siblings with others who have been there, those who understand…the only ones who really understand
- Referrals to additional resources
Bilingual support is available to all families who have lost a child to cancer or other diseases or conditions in Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito and South Santa Clara Counties.
Contact Norma for more information: 831-724-9100.
The moment a parent hears the words, “Your child has cancer,” life is forever altered. Grief for the loss of a healthy child begins at the time of diagnosis. Fear, concern for other family members, and daily management of life’s challenges continue throughout the course of treatment, which can last for several years. Jacob’s Heart works with each family and each family member of children with cancer and certain other life-threatening conditions to assess and address specific needs through the individual and family emotional support services:
• Bilingual family and individual counseling
• Support groups for families in treatment and bereaved
• Art therapy and sand tray therapy in the home, hospital or group setting
• Hospital and home visits to offer support and comfort
• Life-skills training for adolescents
These services are provided by Family Support Specialists, volunteers and licensed family therapists.
Jacob’s Heart serves families in Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito and South Santa Clara Counties. Referrals for Jacob’s Heart support services are made through staff at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford and the University of California at San Francisco Benioff Children’s Hospital.
Please contact Liz or Adriana or call 831-724-9100 for more information.